Billionaires and celebrities at Miami’s ultra-exclusive Setai hotel were left in the dark, we’re told, after a series of fires knocked out the power and caused flooding — turning the place into “a disaster.”
Page Six hears that some One Percenters spent the night huddled outside on pool chairs and others scrambled to their private jets after condos — which sell for up to $12 million for a four-bedroom spread — were left without air conditioning or hot water.
We’re told that an influx of Passover and Spring Break travelers left it almost impossible to find a room elsewhere.
Sources say that superstar DJ Diplo was among the chic set who skipped town amidst the alleged inconveniences.
As we previously reported, an electrical fire broke out on the 19th floor of the hotel’s residential tower on Friday around 6p.m., and was quickly put out. But now we hear there was a second fire and partial evacuation of the Collins Avenue building at around 6a.m. the following morning. Apparently authorities cut the power after the first flame-up, but when they turned it back on, it caused a second to break out.
Parts of the building — co-owned by Alexander Von Furstenberg — were still without power as of Monday.
Victor Naar, CEO of CastleRock REO and a resident of the building, tells Page Six, “Two fires, two evacuations. No lights in the hallways and elevators were not working at all.”
Naar told us the building turned on power for floors 30-and-above on Sunday, but that the lower floors were still without power on Monday.
“We are told [the power will return] tomorrow, but who knows?” Naar said. “We hope.”
“On Friday after the second evacuation, people were sleeping on pool chairs till 7a.m.,” he added. “It’s been a complete disaster. It’s shocking that a building of this caliber does not have power for four days.”
Meanwhile, we hear Jane Scher, mother of society divorcée Libbie Mugrabi, sprained her ankle during the dawn evacuation after tripping on her dog, Botox.
On Friday evacuees told us there was “screaming and smoke” in the stairwells as residents fled.
Resident Sarah Lazow wrote an email — seen by Page Six — to building boss Salem Mounayyer to complain about the situation, and was bewildered when Mounayyer responded saying, “the building is not in emergency and never was.”
Sources also reported seeing water — which they believed to be from sprinklers set off by the fires — pouring out of the first floor ceiling.
On better days, the ocean-front hotel offers a world-class spa and three restaurants.
We’re told condo residents pay $4,000-per-month in maintenance, plus extra for maid service. Condos start at around $1.5 million for a two bedroom, and can be rented for $1,200 a day.
Hotel management didn’t respond to our request for comment.
The Miami Fire Department told us it wouldn’t be able to share information about the fires until an investigation has been completed.|0|https://pagesix.com/2021/03/29/hotel-fires-turn-billionaires-paradise-into-war-zone/|1|https://pagesix.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2021/03/setai-hotel-miami-florida-1137.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1200|2|pagesix.com|E|